Amigos
Last night my neighborhood English class threw a pizza party for me in the taller (car garage). It was great fun, and, as usual, the laughter was plentiful. Of all my friendships made here in Costa Rica, perhaps my friendships with these individuals are the most unusual--or at least the most unexpected. It all began with a conversation in the grocery store with Zaida, a Nicaraguan woman who lives nearby and works at the taller. We began meeting weekly for English lessons and conversation in Spanish, and our group has grown in number since then. Who would have thought? Four months ago, I would never have pictured myself sitting in a garage eating pizza and cracking jokes (in Spanish) with a bunch of individuals significantly older than me. Actually the differences in age, nationality, first language, and life experiences seems rather insignificant, because these individuals have become some of my best friends in Costa Rica. Although most of them are not committed Christians, they have shown Christ's grace and love to me. (paradoxical?) They are quick to forgive my language mistakes and quick to laugh at each other in good fun. I find it easy to share myself with them--to talk about my family, plans (or indecision) for the future, and faith. In turn, they have been very willing to engage in conversation too. Last night, Efren told me that he's actually a very shy person--that he doesn't talk much in general, only with Zaida and me. What an unusual blessing, that he should feel comfortable talking with me, when I don't even speak Spanish very well. English is really only a point of connection, and as might be expected in a Latin culture, relationships are really the main focus. God has shown me his careful hand guiding these relationships. A few weeks ago, Zaida told me, "First we talk about God, then English." What? Lord, thank you! I didn't really even seek out this opportunity and yet you have shown me that you want to make yourself known. Why do I ever doubt that you're in control?
I'm looking forward to seeing these friends more this weekend, as they're coming to the Christmas carol/ Villancicos sing-along tonight and plan to be downtown on Sunday to watch a bit of the marathon. Que bien.
I'm looking forward to seeing these friends more this weekend, as they're coming to the Christmas carol/ Villancicos sing-along tonight and plan to be downtown on Sunday to watch a bit of the marathon. Que bien.
Laura, Efren, Victor, and Zaida (Milton and Melvin are off to the side)
Comments