Food for Thought and Inspiration
I keep a little notebook with favorite quotations that I've picked up and noted down over the years as I read. Occasionally I leaf through the pages, in search of a writing prompt for class, something relevant to a recent conversation or article, or maybe mere food for thought and inspiration. I'd like to share a few of the quotations--no need for commentary at this point. I'll just let them stand on their own. Chew on them for a while.
"He who has a why to live can bear with almost any how." --Nietzche
"One gift a man dares not give is the mission by which his soul must live; for to dam up the river of the soul is to watch life whither where it grew." --Henrik Ibsen, Brand
"Nothing yield more pleasure and content to the soul then when it finds that which it loves fervently; for to love and live beloved is the soul's paradise, both here and in heaven." --John Winthrop
"Every image of the past that is not recognized by the present as one of its own concerns threatens to disppear irretrievably." --Walter Benjamin
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." --Henry David Thoreau
"Not self-justification...but justification by grace, and therefore service, should govern the Christian community. Once a man has experienced the mercy of God in his life, he will henceforth aspire only to serve. The proud throne of the judge no longer lures him; he wants to be down below with the lowly and the needy, because that is where God found him." --Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Life Together"
"Wherever we go, there seems to be only one business at hand--that of finding compromises between the sublimity of our ideas and the absurdity of the fact of us." --Annie Dillard, "An Expedition to the Pole"
"For if there is a sin against life, it consists perhaps not so much in despairing of life as in hoping for another life and in eluding the inplacable grandeur of this life." --A. Camus
"To bring peace where there is trouble, love where there is hatred, abundance where there is hunger, educability where there is ignorance and illiteracy, confidence where there is doubt or uncertainty, and light where there is darkness--this is the role of true diplomacy. It is also the role of true Christian love." --Josiah Muganda
"It is inbred in us that we have to do exceptional things for God, but we have not. We have to be exceptional in the ordinary things, to be holy in mean streets among mean people." --Oswald Chambers
"In essence, there is only one thing God asks of us--that we be men and women of prayer, people who live close to God, people for whom God is everthing and for whom God is enough" --Brennan Manning, The Ragamuffin Gospel
"We know what we are, but know not what we may be." --William Shakespeare, Hamlet
"He who has a why to live can bear with almost any how." --Nietzche
"One gift a man dares not give is the mission by which his soul must live; for to dam up the river of the soul is to watch life whither where it grew." --Henrik Ibsen, Brand
"Nothing yield more pleasure and content to the soul then when it finds that which it loves fervently; for to love and live beloved is the soul's paradise, both here and in heaven." --John Winthrop
"Every image of the past that is not recognized by the present as one of its own concerns threatens to disppear irretrievably." --Walter Benjamin
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." --Henry David Thoreau
"Not self-justification...but justification by grace, and therefore service, should govern the Christian community. Once a man has experienced the mercy of God in his life, he will henceforth aspire only to serve. The proud throne of the judge no longer lures him; he wants to be down below with the lowly and the needy, because that is where God found him." --Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Life Together"
"Wherever we go, there seems to be only one business at hand--that of finding compromises between the sublimity of our ideas and the absurdity of the fact of us." --Annie Dillard, "An Expedition to the Pole"
"For if there is a sin against life, it consists perhaps not so much in despairing of life as in hoping for another life and in eluding the inplacable grandeur of this life." --A. Camus
"To bring peace where there is trouble, love where there is hatred, abundance where there is hunger, educability where there is ignorance and illiteracy, confidence where there is doubt or uncertainty, and light where there is darkness--this is the role of true diplomacy. It is also the role of true Christian love." --Josiah Muganda
"It is inbred in us that we have to do exceptional things for God, but we have not. We have to be exceptional in the ordinary things, to be holy in mean streets among mean people." --Oswald Chambers
"In essence, there is only one thing God asks of us--that we be men and women of prayer, people who live close to God, people for whom God is everthing and for whom God is enough" --Brennan Manning, The Ragamuffin Gospel
"We know what we are, but know not what we may be." --William Shakespeare, Hamlet
Comments
I wrote some of these down in my journal earlier this week and meant to tell you before...aiya que linda la naturaleza...claro que si!