Walking Together

Ian left for a month in Uganda today, and my heart aches. I know that this is an excellent opportunity for him to gain experience and perspective, but I will miss him awfully. Close companionship is probably the sweetest thing about marriage--it's walking in the same direction with someone, sharing conversation and silence, laughter and frustration; encouraging each other through the uphill stretches, and reflecting on the passing scenery. 
In his article in Worldwide Challenge this month, Philip Long comments that the antidote to fear is not merely love but knowing that someone is with you. I agree: it makes the uncertain future a lot less scary to know that someone is committed to walking through it with you.  The beautiful thing is, of course, that we have a Savior who wants to also share close companionship with us--walking with us through valleys and up mountains.  And just as everything becomes better--more enjoyable and meaningful--when I do it with my husband, the same thing is true of our walk with Jesus when it's the walk of close companions. 

As I miss Ian's presence this month, may it be a reminder of the great blessing that God has given me in my life companion, and may I find joy in the companionship of my heavenly father as we, too, walk together.

Comments

Popular Posts