Gaisuwa!

Girls outside the junior-high school
Ian and I are gradually picking up the greetings of the Hausa language: Sannu (hi),A gaishe ka (You are greeted.) Ina kwana (How was your night?) Ina yini (How was your day? ) Ina gajiya (How is your tiredness?) Ina aiki?  (How is your work?) Sai an jima (See you soon.)….And of course the appropriate responses: Lafiya (fine), Babu gajaija (No tiredness), and Sai alheri (With grace).  Whew! Can you tell that greetings are important in this culture?

We’ve learned a lot in the last week—and perhaps most importantly, that there is a lot more to learn. Here are a few snapshots from the last week:

·        Ian spent the first few days rounding on patients with one of the full time physicians here, and he’s now taking call on his own and seeing patients in clinic with the help of a translator. On his first evening, a two-year old boy was admitted, very sick with malaria. He needed a transfusion, and Ian asked me if I might donate blood—I did so, but didn’t end up having a match for him.  He eventually got the transfusion, but died later that night.  Since then, Ian has seen multiple children and babies die.  The physicians do what they can, and we pray for these patients, but it’s hard not to wonder if you could be doing more or what might have happened if you could have intervened earlier.  The suffering here is immense. The physician Ian is working with said that malaria season, in the fall, is the most difficult—he has seen over 30 children die over a weekend.  I don’t know how the physicians and families here go on after days like this.  Please pray for their endurance.
·   
Women with their babies outside the malnutrition center
   
I (Laura) have been teaching beginning and intermediate English classes with hospital staff, working on writing projects with two of the missionary children here, and tutoring another child.  I have really enjoyed getting to know some of the staff.  One of the individuals in my English class works as a gardener and security guard on the compound, but he told me that he is an evangelist and was eager to learn English because of the opportunities that he thought it would provide for studying and communicating the Gospel. Pray that he would be bold to share the Good News in this culture where believers are often ostracized.

·       We are adjusting to life here in other ways too: Meal preparation requires a bit more creativity here.  I used a pressure cooker for the first time last weekend to soften up some stew meat.  It was a success, and I didn’t blow anything up.  My neighbor also offered me a stalk of broccoli from her garden, which had not grown any crowns.  I chopped up the leaves and put it in potato soup made with some chicken broth (from bullion) and milk (from powder). Very tasty! We’re learning the tricks for hand-washing clothes and how to keep the house as cool as possible during the day. (“Cool” being a somewhat relative term that includes anything under 90 degrees—hopefully!). Ian and I also braved the heat (and I got over the fact that I would have to wear a skirt) to go for a run last week on the airstrip.  It felt good to get some exercise.


My pressure-cooker stew!
·       And we’ve had a few opportunities to attend cultural events: We’ve gone to the local church, visited an English class at the junior-high; attended a baby naming ceremony (“biki”), and have helped with preparations for the dedication of the new OB ward, an event attended by many national dignitaries.  It’s only a glimpse of the culture, but it’s been fascinating!

Our time here is going quickly, and we want to make the most of our opportunities.  Please pray for attitudes that are willing and ready to take on any challenges and keep praying that we would be a help and encouragement to those around us.  Finally, as the temperatures heat up, especially in the afternoons, we find that we get easily drained.  Please pray for energy and good sleep at night. So far, we have stayed healthy, and we are very thankful for that.

Thanks so much for your love and support!

Comments

Popular Posts