Honey from the Rock

"But you would be fed with the finest of wheat; with honey from the rock I would satisfy you." Psalm 81:16

This season is so sweet: The child we prayed for, waited for, is finally here and she delights us daily with her smiles, coos, and new discoveries. The weight of her in my arms, those beautiful lashes against her baby-soft skin, a sudden grin to interrupt nursing, and I am overwhelmed with blessing.

It is as if those years of waiting, of struggle, testing, and tears have vanished in the light of present joy. I want to savor this time and build walls against the suffering which is reality in this world. Can I hold on to her little hands, nestle her small head against my chest and make these moments last a little longer?

Lord, teach me to savor this honey from the rock, this deepest of joy and contentment forged in barren valleys. You are the author of my story and you are good--on the mountaintop and when the path becomes rocky.



 

Comments

Popular Posts