And I Shall Not Want

The lyrics of Audrey Assad's "I Shall Not Want" have lingered in my head this week:
          
           From the love of my own comfort
          From the fear of having nothing
          From a life of worldly passions
          Deliver me, O God
          From the need to be understood 
          From the need to be accepted
          From the fear of being lonely
          Deliver me, O God
          Deliver me, O God

         And I shall not want, I shall not want
         When I taste Your goodness, I shall not want
         When I taste Your goodness, I shall not want

I've heard the song before, but I guess that I never closely listened to the words. They strike me as the earnest plea of my own heart, a heart too often distracted by personal comforts and worldly passions. 

The routines of daily life can become consuming. I get caught up in caring for the needs of my family and in pursuing relationships that will fulfill my need to be understood and accepted. I know that these things are not bad--after all, we live in the world and have been created human.  I don't want to be consumed by these desires, however, and to look to the world for the fulfillment of needs that only God can satisfy.

So, deliver me, O God! Deliver me from the needs of today and the fears of tomorrow as I fix my eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of my faith, and the One who has walked before me. I want to taste your goodness and know the contentedness that comes only through knowing you.

Comments

Unknown said…
Thank you for this post! As I was preparing for a Sunday morning of worship through leading music, I was heavy hearted after months of various physical and spiritual battles. I listened to this song after reading your post, and then I listened again and again. Your words and this song fell on eyes, ears and a heart of fertile soil desperate to be fed. I was able to worship this morning with all of my heart, not only the parts and pieces I have been for so long. Thank you for helping me find the peace of Jesus in this world once again.
Laura said…
Thank you so much for sharing, Elizabeth. It is an encouragement to know that God is using these thoughts to be a blessing to others. I'm rejoicing with you in a heart reawakened!

Popular Posts