El Dia de Independencia


I have now experienced my first Costa Rican holiday: el Dia de Independencia. Actually, the holiday is shared by all the countries in Latin America because September 15 marks the day on which independence was declared from Spain in 1821. The proclamation was made in Guatemala City and Costa Rica didn't get the news until a month or so later. Because Honduras celebrates the holiday, I have enjoyed having September 15th off from school for the past three years, but while in Tegucigalpa, I never really participated in any of the parades or city festivities that mark Independence Day. Both Honduras and Costa Rica have unique traditions related to the holiday. While in Honduas, I enjoyed learning about the country's regional diversity, typical foods, customs, and dress as presented by students at our school's "Fiesta Catracha." I also have memories of various "acto civicos" commemorating the day and honoring national heros. This year, I kept Independence Day Tico Style.


The celebration of Independence Day in Costa Rica actually begins on the eve of the holiday. Apparently in 1821, the people of Guatemala City demonstrated their desire to be free from the rule of the Spanish empire and to govern themselves by gathering in the city streets with brightly lit lanterns or "faroles." In commemoration of this event, the people of Costa Rica (and particularly the school children and their families") create faroles of all shapes and sizes (it actually becomes a competition) and gather around the schools and parks on the evening of September 14th. At precisely 6:00, all citizens sing the national anthem. Then everyone marches around the school and through the park to the tune of marching bands, waving their faroles high above their heads and hoping that the homemade lanterns don't catch on fire. (Or perhaps this is part of the fun.) The celebration is thoroughly enjoyed by all; although, for a North American, the parade seems to move incredibly slowly. Nevertheless, it was great to participate in the event with my young Tico brother and sisters--the excitement of children is catching.


The next morning, we rose early to be at the school before 7:00. My 8 year old "sister" Carol was participating in the school program and a parade as a cheerleader of sorts. As might easily have been expected, the program started on Tico time about 40 minutes after the scheduled time. Pero, esta bien. No importa. The events included the presentation of a short skit by students, the singing the national anthem, the pledge of allegiance, and a patriotic type cheer dance performed by Carolina and her classmates. After the program, we headed down to Parke Chino (It was actually created with funds gifted by Japan, but all things Asian seem to be refered to as "Chino" in Central America) for the start of the parade. Featured in the parade were the students with high achievement in their classes. We had a marching bands composed of drums and other percussion instruments, flag bearers, "cheerleaders," horses, and carretas pulled by oxen. Instead of bringing out lawn chairs to watch the procession (a North American concept apparenty), most people walked along beside their kids or marched down to ending point. It was a warm morning and it took nearly 2 hours to cover maybe a quarter of a mile, but at the end, we did enjoy taking pictures with the horses and examining the carreta.

I enjoy cross-cultural experiences, entonces, I find myself comparing the celebration of Independence Day in Central America with the United State's celebration of independence on July 4th. They are both quite patiotic events involving a lot of red, white, and blue, parades, and national anthems. Although it is my impression that many people think that Estadounidenses (citizens of the U.S.A) are extremely patriotic, I have found that most of the people of Honduras and Costa Rica are just as devoted to their countries as we in the U.S.A. In fact, if familiarity with the national anthem and knowledge of national history are any indication, Central Americans may be more patriotic. I do think, however, that the schools make a greater point of educating school children about their country. I mean, how often did I have an "acto civico" or civic activity during the school year? I can rememer one occasion: Veterans' Day. Of course, we learned about Christopher Columbus in October and the Native Americans and the Pilgrims during November, and we had state and U.S. history classes, but memorization of the national anthem certainly wasn't a graduation requirement as it is in Honduras. Now this isn't to say that all Central Americans are patriotic (Many of the young people don't seem to particularly care about their national leaders or history), but on the whole, I have been impressed by the pride that many people display for their country.


One major difference between the celebration of independence in the USA and the celebration in Costa Rica, is the lack of military presence in Costa Rica. There is no mention of the men who bravely fought for the country or of the blood shed for liberty. Parades with a martial flair in the USA are led by children in Costa Rica. The symbol of resistance is not a gun in Costa Rica but a lantern. This difference is easily explained: Costa Rica has no military; it is a small country, and if ever in need of defense, it will rely on the protection of surrounding countries. Costa Ricans seem to take pride in the fact that they have diverted the funds that might be spent on a military to protection of the environment and development of tourism and social services.


I have enjoyed observing and participating in the celebration of Independence Day in Costa Rica, and I have learned a lot about the country's history and cultural traditions through the process. I'll admit disappoint, however, that the day didn't involve fireworks. There were also no grilled burgers, corn on the cob, watermelon, or fruit pies. But I did, at my Tico family's request, sing the Star Spangled Banner, so we had a true cultural exchange and, in a way, two celebrations of independence in one.















Comments

Popular Posts