Going the Distance

For the ancient Grecians, physical training and competition was a very important aspect of life. Men beat their bodies, so to speak, into prime physical condition in order to compete with honor in the games and win the crown. It's for this reason that the Apostle Paul, in writing to the Corinthians, uses the example of physical training in order to describe the way in which followers of Christ are to pursue righteous living. We are to "run in such a way as to get the prize" remembering that we do so in order to "get a crown that will last forever." Paul claims, "I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified" (I Cor. 9: 24-27). So what does it mean to run in such a way as to get the prize, beating our bodies into submission? Although I'm not claiming to have the perfect answer, training for a marathon has taught me a few things over the past few months that's given me more insight into this concept of which Paul speaks to the Christians at Corinth.

First, physical training--and Christian living, I believe--is less about raw ability than determination and diligence. As I train for a marathon, I'm encouraged by the fact that many people whom I would consider not natural athletes, have successfully completed marathons. I'm told that I have a runner's body, so, if they can do it, I can too, right? (Although I admit that it can be a bit discouraging to be shown up by the 65 year old man passing you.) Really, physical training requires commitment and perseverance; when training for a marathon, you increase mileage bit by bit and you get out there to run even when you don't really feel like it because you know that your end ability to complete the race depends on your commitment to training. If you slack or skip too many runs, you're just going to suffer for it later. (And really, sometimes it's painful enough even when you are faithful in training.)

In a similar manner, we realize that we come to Christ completely unworthy of his love and grace. We're sinners, all of us, so let's give up the idea that we might be better qualified or conditioned to lead a more righteous life than our neighbor. There's really no point in comparing ourselves to the next person because we'll just end up prideful or discouraged. Instead, recognizing that we're completely unable to live righteously on our own, we must daily depend on the grace and strength of Christ as we pursue him and the righteousness he desires in our lives. I've been wondering recently what my relationship with Jesus would be like if I was as disciplined to studying his Word and being with him in prayer as I have been to running. I spent 3 hours running this morning, but when was the last time that I spent 3 consecutive hours in prayer? Maybe the same principle applies to righteous living as marathon training: diligence in training and a slow but steady build up of our muscles--physical or spiritual.

Second lesson learned: long distance running is part physical and part mental. Perhaps the longer the race, the more mental strength required. Someone remarked recently that often older people are successful in running marathons for this reason--they've had years of mental discipline. Probably even more amazing than how your body strengthens during the training process is the way that your mind transforms. I mean, a year or so ago, 5 or 6 miles was a longer run for me. Now, this seems like a short run. And after running 18 miles today, next week's run of 14 miles sounds pretty good. (I realize that this must be slightly insane, but thank goodness, it's the case.) Not that it will be easy--but I'm building confidence and mental perseverance that helps me override the desire to stop when my body says, "I'm tired and hurting!" Another aspect of mental training is focusing your thoughts on positive things that will keep you running toward the goal and distract you from your weariness or pain. How often the mind will tell us, "You can't" or "Just stop!" or "You can make up the extra mileage next week!" but sometimes a piece of scripture or encouraging song will help ward off these negative thoughts and keep you strong.

Certainly the state of the mind is just as important to righteous living as to marathon training. Paul instructs the Christians in Rome to "not conform any longer to the pattern of this word, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--his good, pleasing and perfect will" (12: 2) The world tends to drag our minds though the mud sometimes. How can we expect to discern and act upon God's will with a muddy (and muddled) mind? No, that's why we have to be in his Word and in his presence; it's the only way to the renewing of the mind, much as we might look for other shortcuts. In addition, just as I can be dragged down by negative thoughts when running, I can be distracted from righteous living when I take my eyes off of Christ and engage in negative thinking. That's why Paul says to the Philippians, "Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things" (4:8). My grandpa was always doing this, and I think that this is why he was such an encouraging and positive person. I want to be like this too.

Third lesson: my diet, rest, and health affect my running performance--a lot! I've been really hungry lately due to the fact that I'm burning a lot of calories. So, I have to eat more, right? Contrary to popular opinion, calories are not bad--they translate into energy, and that's pretty essential for daily living and additional physical activities like running. I eat a lot of rice and beans, stock up on fresh fruit and veggies, drink quite a bit of milk, try to get 7-8 hours of sleep every night, and take those vitamins so I don't get sick. It's the simple, routine stuff that becomes really important when you're placing extra demands on your body.

Our diet as Christians is the Word of God. Do you know the song "Breathe?" It essentially says that Jesus's presence is the air that we breathe and his Word, our daily bread. When in the desert being tempted by the devil, Jesus quoted Deuteronomy 8:3: "Man does not live on bread along, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God" (Math 4:4). Wow! Am I that dependent on the Word of God? Do I desire Jesus's presence more than the air I breathe? Not yet. Lord, draw me closer to you.

One final thing that I've learned from marathon training is that it is much easier to stay motivated and positive during a run when I'm not on my own. While there is much to say for the mental discipline that is grown from solo runs, I can usually run faster and/or longer when I'm with someone else. What a blessing is a good friend and running partner! (So thanks April, Rachel, Ben, Amanda, and Kenny for being those great friends and running buddies at various times in my life.) I ran up many a hill last year, thanks to the motivation that came from having a friend at my side. And last week on my 16-mile run, I would have taken walking breaks (or stepped in a pot hole or been hit by a car) if not for the fact that I was with a group of 9 other people. (And if I had stopped, I would have been on my own, lost in the city of San Jose!) It's easier to be part of a team in that you can encourage and watch out for one another. Often the encouragement isn't even verbal, it's just a matter of the other person being there at your side.

So, just as running is both an individual endeavor and team effort, our Christian walk--or race--of faith is both personal and communal. It is personal in the sense that we must foster a personal love relationship with our Savior through spending time in his Word and in his presence. It is communal in the sense that we are the body, the Church of Christ and it is though our unity with one another, that the world will know that Jesus is the Son of God who loves them. (John 17:23). So, yes, being a member of a local church is important! Having individuals that will hold us accountable to righteous living is important! Being peacemakers--both within and between our churches, communities, workplaces, and countries--is important! We have been created for community, and if we fail in living together as the Body of Christ then our testimony to the world is sad indeed. (And this, I fear, is the state of the Church in many parts of the world.) But on a positive note, how beautiful is the fellowship between followers of Christ! How sweet is the friendship between individuals that are striving to capture an eternal crown. Although we are to "run in such a way as to get the prize," it is not really a competition! I want to cross the finish line with my brothers and sisters, spurring them onward even as I benefit from their presence and encouragement and accountability too.

Nobody said it would be easy: running a marathon or walking the Christian life. On the contrary, I've found that training for a marathon is--although far from impossible--one of the most physically and mentally demanding and difficult things that I've ever done. And Jesus warned us that we would suffer persecution and trials as we take up our cross and follow him. But are we the kind of people to slow down, turn to the side, or give up in the face of a challenge? No! "For if God is for us, who can be against us?" God has already paid the price of his Son's life and guaranteed us the prize. "Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword?...No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us" (Romans 8: 31, 35, 37). The race may be long and difficult, but we're promised the strength and the prize. So let's go the distance.

Comments

Popular Posts