Redinfining the Classroom

The last couple of months in Costa Rica have redefined the concept of the classroom for me. I've always been a person that sincerely loves to learn: I like watching the History channel and Nova; I enjoy non-fiction books, and when I go to a museum, I tend to read all the signs (much to the annoyance of others, at times). As a teacher, it's been my desire to encourage within my students a similar love for learning, life-long learning. If we're to engage in such life-long learning, than we must realize that the whole world is our classroom. Some of my most significant learning experiences have occurred outside of the typical school classroom, especially as I spend time within other countries and cultures, conversing with people and considering new ideas.

Despite the fact that I have great appreciation for these experiences, I've never been very far removed from the school classroom, and therefore have never had to make a very concerted effort to seek out opportunities to satisfy my thirst for learning. I mean, I began preschool at age 3 (That's why I'm so sharp. Maggie and Eric, you're rolling your eyes, aren't you?), graduated from high school at 18, graduated from college at 22, and went directly back to high school as a teacher. And now I'm in Spanish language school. Qué bárbaro! (As Don Oscar would say.) In many ways, however, I've taken greater responsibility for my learning now. It doesn't matter what grade I get in my classes--nobody is checking up on me, and it's not as if I will have a transcript. That said, an A is not good enough for me because an A only signifies that I've met class requirements, and I could meet class requirements and still leave here after one trimester not speaking Spanish very well. And that's what it's all about: taking advantage of this opportunity as best as possible to become as fluent as possible. The goal is communication, and my ability to be able to share God's truth with individuals is greatly impacted by my ability to use the language. So who cares about the A? I want to talk!

With this in mind, I've been seeking out many opportunities to use Spanish with native speakers. (Sometimes I speak Spanish with my gringo friends too, but we get a little self-conscious in public, when people stare at us as if we're extremely weird, which we probably are.) The good thing about being in Costa Rica, is that the opportunities are limitless. My Tico family, people at church, professors, neighbors, fellow runners that I meet at the track or park, the grocer, travel agent, and pizza guy on the other end of the phone all become conversation partners. I'll admit that I get a little annoyed when people switch to English when they see my blond hair and height, but I realize that many people around here want to practice their fledgling language skills as well.

What's been most surprising is the number of opportunities that I've had to teach English and speak Spanish within the context of a language exchange. I do not exaggerate when I say that I could be teaching/ tutoring in English every day of the week if I so desired. There is my weekly class of Intermediate language learning every Wednesday at the AMCA house. Then there is a little neighborhood group that has popped up at the car garage across the street on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Additionally, the brother of a friend asked me to speak with him once or twice a week so he could practice his English (We speak in Spanish for an hour or so and then switch to English). These are just the opportunities that I've taken advantage of--there have been other opportunities as well. So the classroom has become not merely a room with desks but the crowded office of an auto repair shop, a living room, a ministry house, the streets, the park, the pulperia, the church... Overall, it's quite exciting, even if I have moments when I would rather not stretch my brain or learn a single new word. But stagnation is boring. I hope that we continue learning in heaven too, don't you?

Comments

Popular Posts