Nearer my God to Thee

Although I know that God is in all places at all times, there are some places in which I'm more aware of his presence. Last week I was singing a set of songs about the majesty of God, and I starting thinking about the places in which I've encountered God in very real and fresh ways. Many of these places have been on the trail. I think that one of the reasons that I love backpacking so much is because, leaving behind all but the bare essentials, I venture out into the simple and breathtaking beauty of God's creation. And it's here, with nothing but the things on my back and a friend at my side, that I usually encounter God. In the quiet of a clear, cold
morning, in the beauty of a sunset, in the movement of trees with the wind, in the vista of mountains spread about in every direction, He reminds me of his love, his power, his beauty, his sovereignty, and his complete sufficiency to meet my every need. I know that God waits for me to meet him at any and every moment, and I pray that he will continually be drawing me nearer to him, but I also thank him for these moments in time, photographs in my memory, in which God has revealed himself to me in fresh and powerful ways through the beauty of his creation and the sweetness of friendship. Although the photos in my memory are better, the camera has captured a few of these moments as well, so here are some pics of special places for me.

Yosemite's High Sierra, above Tuolumne Meadows

View from Cloud's Rest, Yosemite National Park

Merced River, Yosemite Valley

Baltic Sea, Latvia
Lake Superior, LSPP, Ontario, Canada

Lake Michigan shoreline, Macatawa, MI

El Rosario, Honduras por La Tigra Parque Nacional

alpine lake, Wind River Range, WyomingNew Fork Park, Wind River Range, Wyoming

Birch forest, Isle Royale, Lake Superior

Comments

Sarahhh said…
Laura, those images are amazing! I was a little confused at first as to whose blog I was reading, because the beginning picture looked like Cedar! Of course, it was nearby :)

glad to hear you're doing well!
Unknown said…
Hi Laura, thanks for sharing your memories and your praises. Amen!
Anonymous said…
Hey Laura, Hope you had a great thanksgiving. Mind was fine. I and friends volunteered at the homeless station in Pasadena in the morning hours. I later enjoyed turkey in the afternoon at a friend’s house. Today, I got an opportunity to read your BlogSpot. I am amazed by your testimonies – I can truly see God’s awesome creation through your pictures and testimonies. What an awesome God we serve!!! Take care! Love ya! Sis Christine
Joey said…
Sunrise from the top of Cloud's Rest is still the most spectacular view I've ever seen. That picture is great!

Popular Posts